Monday, June 2, 2014

The Plastic Fork

The last day of school is June 13, that is 9 school days away and I am not going to lie... I am not sure I am going to make it!  If I was in year-round school (like my past 7 years), I would have been out of school (and had 3 track-outs before then)!  I was thinking the other day how well I have adapted to teaching at a traditional-calendar school after teaching at a year-round school for so long.  I was doing well until 2 weeks ago!  I had had it and I was past due for a track out!  I lost my drive and I lost my mind!  Today was yet another rough day!  The past two weeks, the kids have been amazing... working hard, talking to each other to work out their problems, and encouraging each other along the way.  It has made this teacher's heart smile.  All the hard work I have done all year long has really paid off and I am so excited and so proud of my 17 students!  They have worked so hard to behave and they are truly a sweet group! But my patience is still running thin and I cannot figure out what it is or why!  I have 9 days left and I really want to finish strong!  I want to remember this year for all the good times and growing times!  But really want to remember and cherish the good! 

As I was packing for my move, I found this pink plastic fork that has been with me since my second year of teaching!  It has surived two moves (one all the way to Africa) and I will keep it for always! It reminds me why I am a teacher and why I want to touch the lives of others.  There is a very special story behind this fork that sits on my counter where I look at it many times throughout the day. 

My second year of teaching there was this sweet boy in my class Razik who had some behavior issues plainly because he came from a rough home life.  But I loved this boy so!  He had the biggest heart even though he came from little.  During Christmastime, our class was collecting items for a lower-income family at the school so they would have Christmas presents and their needs met.  One day Razik brought in this pink plastic fork and something else I cannot remember.  My first thought when I looked at this was, "Seriously, we can't give this family a fork" but immediately that left my mind and I thought "oh my goodness, this sweet boy who comes from nothing, gave all he had to this family".  I immediately took that fork home and have kept it ever since.  That is truly giving from the heart!

A couple of months later, I found out that Razik was moving to a better home.  I ignored that "rumor" from the staff until the day of what was his supposed last day.  I still did not believe it so I went up to the office to be sure this was really happening.  My principal finally told me that "yes, Razik is moving".  I went to go tell him and as I pulled him aside to let him know he was moving, he grabbed me and sobbed uncontrollably!  I held him tight and sobbed too! He had made such an impact on all of these people, we spent an hour telling everyone goodbye: the principal, assistant principal, kindergarten teacher, and the list goes on.  I sobbed that entire afternoon because I didn't know what his future held and it was now out of my control.  And my students were losing an amazing classmate!  As he walked out my door and down the ramp for the final time, I told him I loved him and he turned around, told me he loved me too, and was off!  I will remember that day like yesterday! 

As I become low on patience, I want to remember the impact Razik had on me and to never give up on my students!  So tonight, I am remembering Razik and his pink plastic fork.


No comments:

Post a Comment