Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mount Rushmore and Downtown Rapid City

Today I flew to Rapid City, South Dakota! I was suppose to meet Aunt Jeanne there but her flight was cancelled and she couldn't fly in until that night.  So I had the day to myself exploring South Dakota!

After renting the car and checking into our hotel room, I headed to Mount Rushmore!  The drive was gorgeous! This does not do it justice but it was the best I could do while driving!
 

This is the statue of the man who designed Mount Rushmore

Before you get to the monument, you walk through the flags of all 50 states and on the columns below each flag is when that state was admitted to the union. This was my favorite part for sure!




Then I made it to the perfect view of the monument! (See it above my head?)


I went into a cave/lookout area to see this up close.  After I walked out of the cave, I saw a woman wearing a Meredith College t-shirt.  I stopped and talked to her. She graduated from Meredith in 1977 and now lives in Fayetteville!  Too cool!

View from the Presidents' Trail


Ice Cream to round out my visit!

Then I headed to downtown Rapid City!  It was a view neat area with two events that night!

Love this graffiti back area!





After dinner, I walked around Target to marvel at all the great things they have!

As I was leaving Target to go pick up Aunt Jeanne, this is what the sky looked like! How pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment