Friday, April 25, 2014

Why I am here...

Today as I danced with my entire school community a Senglese dance to the song Waka Waka by Shakira in our outdoor amphitheater, I realized this is just where God wants me to be and tears rolled down my face.  I looked over as my kids were dancing along with huge smiles on their faces and looking at me for affirmation.  I watched the adorable PreK kids want to do their best along with the dance too.  I just knew this is where I was suppose to be... a place with each child comes from their own country with their own language and is proud of it!  This week is World Language Week and we have done a variety of activities but today was my favorite and it was so simple.  The students brought in plain white t-shirts for their classmates to sign with their greeting in their own language.  My kids left with shirts that had 19 different languages and it was the neatest thing!  They were so proud and to watch them sign was an experience.  Six of my students' greetings were written with characters- not letters.  They signed it with such great ease and to watch them go from right to left was amazing!  This school year has been a challenge, don't get me wrong but to see where we were those first weeks and months and to see where we are now, it amazing!  It reminds me why I am teaching in North Africa and why I give my heart each day... even when the times are tough.  I love my students to the moon and back and am so proud!

 Here are my sweet second graders:
Just to give you an idea, here are the countries they are from:
Zambia, India, Germany, Oman, Libya, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Korea, Nigeria, Syria, Italy, America/Tunisia, Japan, Japan, South Africa, Tanzania, Gambia, Zambia

I love my multi-cultural kids and my multi-cultural school!!

No comments:

Post a Comment