Thursday, April 10, 2014

A very relaxing day!

Today was a super relaxing day and it was just what Joni and I needed!  We both slept in and laid around the house for a while.  We finally mustered up some strength to get dress and leave the house before noon (barely)!

First stop was to visit the Ghar Dalam Caves
 

This is where they found the remains of hippos, elephants, deer, bears, foxes and wolves.  Hundreds of years ago, there was an Ice Age in Europe so the animals came to Malta but then the Rain Age happened in Malta so they died.  Here is the history behind it all...

These are the fossils they found in the cave

These are the caves that were formed from the Rain Age... very interesting! 



Then we ventured off to find our relaxing spot for the day!  We packed up beach chairs, picnic lunch, wore out swim suits and were ready to go!  Thanks to Joni's awesome navigating skills, we found Peter's Pool!  It was this awesome rock slab beach with the green Mediterranean Sea!  It was amazing!

Set up camp and ready to spend 4+ hours there!

Me and Joni with our disguised wine


Joni's dive ;)

We became friends with these 3 guys: Mario, Carlo, and Tony

They are the sweetest ever!  They made us coffee and taught us a lot about Malta.  They are retired and come here every day to swim and hang out.  They have known each other since they were little kids!  Such great guys!

Since the moment we got there, I wanted to go swimming but knew it would be cold and wasn't sure I would have the gumption to do so! Here the progression of how my swimming endeavor went:

 When we got there it was cold and the sun was hidden behind a cloud so I was fully clothed!

Sun came out and I was in... but I couldn't get in past my ankles- it was too cold!

Got out and tried elsewhere, got in past to my knees

Then after some convincing from one of our new friends (he was going in and told me to come too), I finally got in and was so excited!  It was cold but I got use to it and swam!  It was at least 2-3 meters deep so I couldn't touch but I loved it!

I swam far out... all that swimming at the Embassy pool has gotten me far!

Finally we packed up and headed to Marsaxlokk fishing village!  I love that place with all the colorful boats and gorgeous views!


We were hoping to eat Chinese food but the restaurant was closed!  We hope to go back on Saturday! So we ate at this yummy Seafood restaurant instead and got a fish platter!

We got home and walked through town so I could mail my post cards!  Love the Zejtun post office!

It was by far a super relaxing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment