Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Valletta and Sliema

The day started off with Joni and I taking mom and dad to the airport... that was not easy!  I never imagined that I would be the one taking them to the airport to leave me and it would be another two months before I saw them again.  They were always the ones taking me to the airport when I traveled and picking me up when I returned home.  This role reversal was hard for me.  It was hard to watch them walk in that airport away from me.  As I got in the car with tears in my eyes, I tell Jon "this never gets easier".  As I write this now, I have tears streaming down my face because I miss them terribly.  Yes, I get to travel and see things I never imagined in my wildest dreams but I spend months away from those I love more than anything in this world.  I am so blessed they were able to come and visit me in my side of the world for 10 days!  It is a time I will always treasure!  I love you mom and dad!

Joni and I headed to Valletta, the capital of Malta.  It is located on the busy side of the island and it made me very grateful for the small town/village we are staying in!

The only thing I wanted to see in Valletta was St. John's cathedral (yes, a church) because I have seen pictures and it seemed gorgeous

Once we saw the entrance fee was reasonably priced, off we went

And it did not disappoint!  The views were breathtaking and better than all the pictures I saw!!  This is the most beautiful European church I have been in!

The details were amazing and no space was left open.





Then we headed to catch the ferry to take us to the neighboring city of Sliema

One side of the bay was Sliema (new buildings and known for shopping, clubs, etc)

Other side of Valetta (more culture and old architecture) 

Selfie on the ferry

Gorgeous blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea

 We stumbled upon this rock slab beach and had to dip our feet in the Med Sea



  Loved this sculpture!
 

Side streets of Sliema

Joni took this just for you, mom! ;)
 

Ferry ride back to Valletta
 

Fountain we saw as we were leaving Valletta

Gorgeous day with gorgeous views!

No comments:

Post a Comment