Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Two Cemeteries and a Palace

Today I hung out with my friend, Catherine (she also is the fabulous woman who subbed for my class while I was out). In the morning, we walked around a Catholic cemetery. Then we went to see the palace of the Baron who made Sidi Bou what it is  today (blue, white, and beautiful). After a yummy lunch of burgers and fries, we went to tour the American cemetery in Carthage. What an amazing experience! I had a blast with Catherine today touring around parts of Tunis I had not seen before! It was a fun day spent with a wonderful friend!

First stop, Catholic Cemetery
This is a very old cemetery (with newer graves in the back) where Catholics who live in Tunisia are buried. There were Italians, French, German, and a few from other parts of Europe. The graves were quite old but were very elaborate and ornate. They were quite run down but awesome to see and to think about their histories.






The newer graves were very simple but were not over grown with weeds. We were also able to read the inscriptions.

This grave was not yet finished. 

Next stop: The Palace in Sidi Bou
I had no idea this place existed so I was so excited Catherine suggested it! The Baron built his palace on a hill in Sidi Bou. He thought to make Sidi Bou attract more visitors, they should paint it blue and white like Greece. Well, he was right because it is a very popular visitor sport!

Catherine and I at the front gate


The Persian Gardens

Gorgeous view of the Med from the Persian Garden

The palace

View from the palace... not too shabby!

Sitting Room

Dining Room

Sunroom/Patio

Guest Room

Library

Gorgeous Second Floor

Sink and Heater for Hammam (loved the tiles)

The Hammam

Large Gilded Room


Amazing Views

Sidi Bou on the hill

Next Stop: Cook's for Lunch
I have never been before but friends said how awesome it was! And it did not disappoint! I got an amazing burger and fries, and a huge nutella cookies for dessert!

Last stop: The American Cemetery (My favorite stop of the day)
I live very close to here but have never been. I am so grateful Catherine and I went together. In WWII, part of the war spread to Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia from 1942-1943. This cemetery honors Americans who died in WWII in Tunisia. It was an amazing sight.

A sweet man in the office offered to show us around so we learned some great information! This statue behind Catherine and I was is a woman who is facing the graves and guarding them.

This is the wall of people who died but their bodies' could not be found. It is called the Wall of Missing People. 

The bronze circles (only 11 of them) means their bodies were found

The awesome mosaic map that showed the attacks throughout North Africa.

We went into the chapel where they have Memorial Day ceremonies,


This is the cemetery. It reminds me of a small Arlington cemetery.

Click on this to make it bigger. This is what they put on the grave when were unable to identify the body

A Jewish American was buried here

We saw fresh flower on this grave- families can request this

It was a great time of sight-seeing in my town with a great friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment