Saturday, June 27, 2015

Heavy Heart

I have wedding pictures to post and a cardiologist appointment to update you on. But for now, that has to wait. I have something heavier on my heart I want to post about.

Yesterday Tunisia was attacked by terrorists for the second time in 3 months! I woke up to an alert on my phone telling me a terrorist shot and killed 27 people on the beach and in the hotel in Sousse (a beach/resort town about 2 hours from Tunis). I sat in my bed in tears! How can this happen again? This just happened in the Bardo museum 3 months ago!! Why again? Why terrorists? Why Tunisia?? I immediately texted my Tunisian friends to see how they were doing and to see what was going on.  The responses I got were heartbreaking... they said their country was so sad right now. Tourists were fleeing and they were so hurt by what happened. I could tell even through the texts that they were not the same and neither was the country I loved dearly. As the day went on, so did the number of people killed... 39! 39 people who were enjoying their summer vacation on the gorgeous Mediterranean Sea and soaking up the warm Tunisian sun. Tunisians, Britons, German, French and Irish were the victims. Today many of the tourists fled to the airport to get back to their country. I cannot say that I blame them one bit. I would be doing the same thing if I was in their shoes. But this is devastating for the Tunisian economy. Our country has been stable and it is beautiful so Europeans come to visit! Or they did. And I pray they continue to come. I also pray the terrorists leave us alone!

Yesterday, friends asked me a question that I have been pondering ever since. "How many attacks will it take before you leave?" We have had two attacks in the past three months. The first one I thought nothing of it because terrorist attacks happen. We have had our share of them in the US too. But to know we have had two back to back, something tells me this may happen again. I still feel completely safe in Tunisia but am I scared another terrorist attack may hit? Yes, to be honest, I am. But I love Tunisia and pray that it won't happen again. Right now I ask that you pray for the victims, their family members and Tunisians as they deal with their country being attacked by terrorists.

I found this video when I was teaching my students about Tunisia and I wanted to share it with you too. Because it shows all the different parts of Tunisia and it shows how the Tunisians are united.

No comments:

Post a Comment