Friday, March 20, 2015

Touring Mahdia

Thursday afternoon mom and dad arrived in Tunisia! Once they claimed their lost bags (oh Paris... you never disappoint!), we got in the car and headed to Mahdia! It is a sweet town on the coast about 2 1/2 hours from Tunis. Many teachers have been here before and always rave about it so I was excited to go! We are staying at a hotel recommended by many teachers and it did not disappoint! My favorite hotel I have stayed at in Tunisia by far! It is owned by a sweet man who is very present and ready to help. The rooms are more life little houses and each place has its own special touch of Tunisia. It is also right on the water which does not disappoint! On Friday, we spent the day walking around and touring downtown Mahdia. What a sweet beautiful town!

The sun setting as we drove to Mahdia

Our dinner once we arrived at the hotel (all food is freshly prepared and served to us at our table)

First meal... whole fish! Dad and I were very brave and mom was in heaven!


The next day we spent the morning around the hotel. This is mom and dad's room

 I am in front of the blue door to the sea! (hotel behind me, sea in front of me)

Mom and dad in the reception area

Then we headed to downtown Mahdia! Here is a car all decorated to show they were just married. 


Friday is market day in Mahdia and we found a frip!!! I am so excited mom got to experience it!


Dad looking at different beans and spices

The old mosque 

The door in the middle of the town

The coast

Next we walked around the old cemetery which was just beautiful with all the wild flowers and sea in the background





The old fort


We walked back through town... I love all the blue and tiles




We stopped for a coffee and bathroom break that was quite rejuvenating 


The sweet man who waited on us

As we walked around town, I was looking for an art gallery to buy Tunisian paintings for my house and I stumbled upon this beauty! I found two beautiful pieces that will forever remind me of Tunisia! Here I am with the kind artist!

After a little more shopping, we headed back to the car but stopped for a sandwich before heading back to the hotel

Once arriving back at the hotel, Dad and I took a walk on the beach! A great first day for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment