Sunday, February 7, 2016

Julius

I have been blessed to go to Kenya three times. And each time we went, this wonderful man with the best smile, was always our driver. Julius became a part of our family fast and we loved him dearly. He took us all around Nairobi, on safari and to Kisumu. He was so happy, funny and full of life. He was so optimistic. He was also a jokester often kidnapping Thaddeus (my much-loved bear). But more than anything, he had the biggest heart. He took care of us like his own and was very productive. He also involved himself in whatever we were doing- he just didn't sit in the bus while we served. 

And as I type, the tears well up. Julius is gone. He died of a stage 4 brain tumor. He's gone. Next time we go to Kenya, he won't be there. He's gone. I didn't believe it at first. He is young, he is healthy, he has many children and a loving wife, he is Julius. He can't be gone. But he is. And all of our hearts are mourning the loss of an amazing man.

Since his death, my family and I have been reminiscing about our favorite Kenyan driver and sharing pictures. It has done my heart good to see that smile again.

We miss you Julius. We love you.

Julius and I when he visited us at church- not as our driver but as a visitor coming to see the church we have all been talking about

Mom, dad and I with Julius and his family

Meghan, Julius and I on our second Kenya trip

Julius showing the boys something cool I am sure

Julius and his kids- he always drove the "kids" bus and we loved him so much for it!

This is a picture I will always treasure! We were in Outreach, painting the new building and he worked along side us painting to. What a heart he has to serve alongside us!

I made a collage of a Kenyan man I adore and look up to!

We love you so much Julius and miss you tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment