Monday, June 13, 2016

Weeks of Finals and Goodbyes

I need closure! I like closure, I thrive with having closure and I find comfort in closure. So the last two weeks were full of "the last time we will do this together" and goodbyes. It was such a bittersweet time. It was full of memories, full of love, full of embraces and full of tears. The end of the school year is always sad living abroad because people always move on but this year was even sadder because 37 people on staff were leaving. Our school is quite small so 37 is a LOT. It is probably close to half of our staff. So therefore, goodbyes are hard but necessary. But I tried to make the most of every moment and enjoy it all with those who have been my family the last 3 years. 

Karen's last visit with the babies. She is the one who invited me along 3 years ago and I am so grateful she introduced me to this wonderful place! Karen, you are going to be a wonderful grandma one day! It will happen before you know it! ;)

All teachers go to high school graduation so Catherine, James and I met up for lunch before we watched the high schoolers graduate

I babysat the Harrison kids one last time before they moved. It was great to spend time with just the two of them (and Zoe of course).

L for Liam

Swinging in the garden


Had to get out and take the dog on a walk

Love this yellow door right by their house

The next day, before going to Carrefour, we had to stop to pick up frames that Karen H and Karen T needed to put in their shipment that week. Liam was fascinated with the frame shop and it was so neat watching him.

Walking back and forth with one of the framed pictures

Liam's first trip in the front seat- very common in Tunisia but not normal for the expats to do. But our backseat was full of frames so Liam got his first ride on his mom's lap buckled in. Look at the excitement on his face!

After the frame shop, we headed to Carrefour and he got to pick out the watermelon for the week.

Finally selfie with Karen at Liam as we are leaving Carrefour. This was our last trip and Monday to Carrefour. These were my favorite day of the week as we shopped together and solved the world problems. Many conversations (often hard) were done in my car before going in. I will always cherish those times together. 

Liam's last assembly as he sang "Let is Grow". Nothing is more adorable than singing kindergarteners.

Katie wanted some help organizing, packing up and taking down before her pack-out day. But before packing we tried out the new Papa Johns and it did NOT disappoint! Tasted like the original!

It was a lot of fun being there for a friend as she packed up the home she has lived in the past 3 years. A bittersweet time but full of laughter and fun times for sure!

After our prekindergarten graduation, the parents in my class got me this gorgeous silver Tunisian tea set! It was beautiful and something I have always wanted. It was a wonderful end of the year gift. On the platter "Thank you Miss Radcliff" is engraved. Oh special!

When Zoe and I were walking home from the market one day, we saw this graffiti. Just the reminder I needed to get through the week.

On Sunday, my cohort (the group I came in with to ACST) had lunch together to honor those leaving and just to celebrate our three years in Tunisia together. What a wonderful cohort I am blessed to be apart of.

Group shot!

Silly group shot!

On Wednesday, after Iftar (the breaking of the fast during Ramadan) a group of my friends met up for coffee and tea. It was great to do this with Karen T before she left Tunisia. It was also great to spend time together.
Rym, Malek and me

Gorgeous tea with fresh almonds

Saana, Hager, Karen, me, Rym and Malek

For the past month of so, we are having been talking about Zoe and I sleeping over at the Harrisons' house. You can probably tell by now but I am very close to the Harrison family- I spend 2-3 nights a week at their house, love their children dearly and spend a lot of time with their mom, Karen. They also love Zoe so very much and take amazing care of her. The two of us are a part of their family and we love them dearly. So the night before the last day of school, we spent the night at their house and it was such a fun sleepover! Great way to spend such quality time with them!

Before getting there, Karen and I spent time at my house as we do every Thursday night. We eat, chat, laugh, vent, drink and just enjoy the time that it is just the two of us. It was our final Thursday night together and I sure do miss them!

As soon as I got to the house, Mila found Thaddeus in my bag and was carrying him away. This is a crazy picture but sweet nonetheless.

Liam fresh out of the bath and scaling the wall

Then we headed to the garden- my favorite place to spend with the family. We sit and chat, play in the grass, push the kids on the swing, oh the memories!! We spent the evening there until it was past bedtime and I soaked it all up.

This a sweet man who stops by the house often to bring the kids gifts. He walks by the house on his way to pray at the mosque five times a day. He is so kind and sweet.

Family picture with their friend

Love how these two love each other

Mila sandwich in the garden

So we promised him this picture would not show up on FB but we never said anything about the blog. ;) The kids discovered by roomy dress and loved hiding under it. It lasted for quite so time and was so fun! 

For pajamas, they decided to dress up in their favorite costumes and then we laid down with them as they fell asleep. It is one of my favorite Harrison memories. But the costumes didn't last long... they got hot and I cannot blame them.


Once the kids were asleep, Karen and I stayed up for hours chatting. It was way too late but great way to spend the evening!

And this is what PreK teachers look like on the last day of school!!!!


Here's my team for the past two years in PK!

The Harrisons stayed at a hotel since they were moving their last 3 nights so I spent our last afternoon together swimming with them. Liam learned to swim and it was amazing to watch him and to be a part of it! So fun to watch him swim back and forth between his mom and me!


Karen and I spent hours chatting in the pool while Liam swam and Mila napped

Love this girl!! I gave her her own Eos chapstick and she loved it. 

I loved watching her smack her lips! 

Oh how I love this girl!

For my last night in Tunis until after summer, I went to this great restaurant in the medina for Iftar (the breaking of the fast after Ramadan). It was great company and a great group of friends.

Catherine and Cheri 

Katie and James

Omar and me

Here are the different foods we ate and that are traditionally eaten during Iftar:
dates stuffed with butter

Soup

Brik

Don't know the name of it but it is bread with harissa, cheese and olives

Tunisian salad (chopped tomatoes and cucumbers)


Best lamb with potatoes

Amazing dessert but none of us quite knew what it was- even when we asked

Outside of the restaurant

Our group after dinner: Omar, me, James, Catherine, Katie, Cheri

Wonderful ending to the school year and I am ready for summer! I sure do miss my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment